Saturday 30 January 2016

The 5th Wave Is An Alien Concept - The 5th Wave Review

I’m going to start off this review with an honest confession: I watched the 5th Wave movie before I read the book. I know, I know, don’t give me that look, it was a little further down on my TBR list than I’d hoped, and by the time it was in my hands, I already knew the whole story. Whoops. But, for the purpose of the review, I’m going to write it as though I never watched the film.

Since the huge hype for ‘The Hunger Games,’ there is currently nothing more popular in YA literature than a dystopian, end-of-the-world, kids against adults book. And that’s exactly what Rick Yancey’s ‘The 5th Wave’ is. Being a fan of stories about how the world is in chaos, I was looking forward to reading the 5th Wave and discovering yet another way that the world could end, and this time, it was because of an alien invasion. Now, before reading this book, I had this stock-standard alien picture of an alien in my head. You know the type: green, bug-eyed men we all know so well, hanging out in UFO’s, using laser beams to defeat humanity and take over the world. This book is nothing like I imagined it would be, and for that I’m glad.

16 year old Cassie Sullivan believes she may be the last human left on earth. She has survived the first 4 waves of destruction sent by the aliens, or, as she calls them, the Others. She now lives alone in the woods, fighting for survival and fighting to keep her promise to return to her little brother, who was taken away to a military base. However, on her journey to the military base, she is shot in the leg by an Other, and becomes sick. She is saved by a young farm boy, Evan, and is brought to his home for recovery. However, Evan may not be all he seems to be.

As much as I enjoyed the twisty, turny plot twists of this book, they were a little obvious at times, and perhaps not as shocking as they could have been. One thing I would change about this book was the mostly ambivalent romantic subplot between Evan and Cassie. The two characters had next to no chemistry, and all it did was slow the story down. From what I could see, all Evan cared about was Cassie’s looks and safety and all Cassie cared about was Evan’s big hands and good cuticles that she wouldn't let the reader forget about. For example: “… and his cuticles, as I’ve pointed out, are impeccable.” Or how about: “… those hands with the perfect cuticles.”? Or this one: “…you have incredible cuticles…” Also: “…cuticle care can tell you a lot about a person.” If I had to read one more line about Evan’s cuticles, I was going to tear his fingers off!  Don’t get me wrong here, the plot of this book was great, but I could’ve done with less staring into Evan’s ‘chocolaty brown’ eyes, and a little more of kicking alien butt. 


Having said that, the last 150 pages of the book really turned around my overall opinion of this story, as we finally had some constant, intense action scenes that were well written and were just what the story needed. The whole situation was dropped in a pressure cooker and turned up to max, with explosions, injuries, and lots of gun usage. Finally, the characters were truly fighting back, and the book had both redeemed itself and earnt its place amongst the other bestselling dystopian novels. For those of you who are interested, the book is much better than the film, and I’d recommend that if you are going to see the film, read the book first. I leave you with my rating of 3 cuticles out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment